Module 1   Introduction to Stock Market (video series)Chapter 1

Why should you Invest?

View chapters →

1.1 – Why invest?

Investing is essential; it helps you fight inflation and create wealth, enabling you to be independent and not rely on anyone during Financial hardships. The video below will take you through more practical reasons for investing.

Download the excel here. The following video looks at all the financial intermediaries involved in the capital markets.

We recommend reading this chapter on Varsity to learn more and understand the concepts in-depth.

Key takeaways from this chapter

1. Risk and Return go hand in hand. Higher the risk, the higher the Return. Lower the risk; lower is the Return.
  2. Invest in securing your future
  3. The corpus you intend to build at the end of the defined period is sensitive to the return rate the investment generates. A slight variation in rate can have a significant impact on the corpus.
  4. Choose an instrument that best suits your risk and return appetite.
  5. Equity should be a part of your investment if you want to beat inflation in the long run.

90 comments

1. Gayaprasad Yadav says:

Love the way they care for their customers… And upgrading knowledge of customers is one of the best way .. proud member❀️

2. Anurag Jain says:

Very excited to see zerodha versity in video series excellent effort from zerodha
    I am starting to see it from today I am in market from last 8 months.. and I have no doubt that it will add some more knowlege in my market experiance

3. Manjunath C says:

Very well explained and useful

4. PRIYANK says:

MAKE ALL THE VIDEOS IN HINDI ALSO

5. sachin pawar says:

Such a excellent work knowledge sharing is the best for those who are new in share market.

6. Mahesha B K says:

Hey Karthik,

These are really very good information, for those who wants to understand equity system from scratch. Also Can I know if you’re available for the personal investment consultation? If yes, please let me know how i can reach out to you.

7. Laxman Rawal says:

Can you please provide key takeaways outside the video. Because, at the end of the video youtube suggests the next videos and there is the logo of varsity youtube channel.
    It would be really helpful and easy to read.

8. Anirudh says:

Great work as always! The content on Varsity was as it is a great place to go and learn. I remember back in ’15-’16 when I would go on Varsity to brush up on topics I had learned previously but had long forgotten. Now, the newly added video series to each module is a welcome move as it would make certain difficult topics a lot easier to comprehend for learners.

@Karthik Rangappa: Minor issue I noticed – The Varsity logo and the prompt for the next video, visible towards the end, is blocking the ‘Key takeaways’ section.

9. Suraji G says:

I am a type of person who loves to listen than self learning. Thank you so much for making such a great video. It helps people like me to learn. Zerodha is stepping more advance to make their customers to feel better. The way of explaining with drawings and images makes me to understand deeper and even children can learn about stock market more effectively. I saw the videos only by searching in YouTube. My request to zerodha, please send notification about this versity video series to all your customers. You are making a great work but I didn’t get any notifications related to this great work. This may help all investors to learn wisely.

• Karthik Rangappa says:

Thanks for the kind words, Suraji. For now you can subscribe to the youtube channel. But yes, we will do an email campaign to inform all.

10. V SUBRAMANIAN says:

The Video says “Download Excel File from the description”. But I could not do it from the description. Please guide me. Thanks & regards.

11. Rajeev says:

Sir, when will the videos on F&O be uploaded?

12. Raj says:

Great effort to present complex need for investments in simple terms.. enhancing investors knowledge..impresive

13. Bikash Chakraborty says:

I have got a clear conception about the three asset classes through this video. It will further help us if you write the key notes of discussion in the video description. Thanks for your support.

14. Manu Mittal says:

Hey thanks Zerodha for the informative videos…. just 1 suggestion : In Key takeaways section we won’t be able to read due to Zerodha logo and next video add. Anyways thanks for this L&D section.

15. Aswini Mohanty says:

I must confess that the present generation of investors are much more smarter and more knowledgeable than when I first put my hard earned Rs 500-/ into an IPO in the year 1987. I grew to a good corpus of around 5 lacs by 1994 and lost 80% in Harshad scam and again lost some money in 1997-98 bear scam and exit from market, because at that time nothing like your varsity content available.

Zerodha has initiated confidence in people like me for investing ( I have one Zerodha account opend in Oct 21) even at this age of 65.

Thank u Zerodha.

• Karthik Rangappa says:

Very happy to note that, Aswini and thanks for the kind words! Happy learning and I hope the markets will behave well this time πŸ™‚

16. Devendra Anandrao Bhilare says:

good

17. Prathmesh Nalawade says:

18. Ravi says:

Thanks to all your selfless efforts of making it soo simple

19. Ravikunar Epili says:

Such an excellent knowledge you have shared and alongwith video is very helpful thanks zerodha varsity.

20. geetha asoka kumar says:

I tried calling the call centre to clear some doubts. But they are asking for 4 digit password.. Which I am not able to find on my profile. Please help

21. DURGA NAND RAM says:

ZERODHA VARSITY = ENGLISH β†’ HINDI β†’ VIDEO ENGLISH β†’ VIDEO HINDI ????…………..

22. Shravan says:

I am looking for the stock market lerning course .but thanks to zerodha versity to useful lessons for beginners without take any fees.so thank you guys

23. Jitesh Patil says:

The video content is very much helpful to understand the market, but is there any tutorial for intraday trading too

24. Bhanu Surti says:

I am unable to download the excel. It does not show any link please help. I do have an account with Zerodha

25. Mohamed Shaheen says:

I’m an NRI, but can I open an account with you with my Indian Bank account? Because I don’t have an overseas account as of now.

26. Hiral Thakar says:

The video content explained in a very well and appropriate way.The length of video is also proper so one cant distract.Thank you.

27. ajmal valiyakath kasim says:

ZERODHA…YOUR COMMITMENTS TO YOUR CUSTOMERS ALWAYS WOULD PAY YOU BACK….

28. Komal says:

It’s very useful to ,,,

29. Kuldeep 5307 says:

Hi, thanks …
    Understood the concept like the alphabets… i must appreciate the efforts to spread awareness

30. Harsh says:

In the excel sheet how 12% over 2,40,000 is 2,067,063 .Please rectify it.

31. Richy says:

Could you please explain how 12% of 2,40,000 is 2,067,063?

32. Richy says:

Okay understood but the formula in the excel gives a different answer right.
    240000*(1+12/100)*(20-1)=5107200.Please correct me if I am wrong

33. Jasu Makwana says:

Please Make all Videos in Hindi Language. Because Hindi is National Language, all Indians Peoples Easy to Understand in Hindi.

34. Niladri Bihari Nayak says:

Awesome initiative by Zerodha Varsity. Financial Education is must for everyone which is mostly missed out in our Indian Education System from school days. You fill that gap ! I am happy for what you do !

35. Aarsh says:

Hello! I am just starting out, do not have the Zerodha account, as I first thought of learning it out. I am bit confused about how the Varsity App and Website works.

App : As I logged into the App via google to the App, and it doesn’t have the Video Series and also the Normal Text Modules are arranged quite differently when we compare App vs Website.

Website : It has Video series but I’m unable find a way to login here to save progress, like in App.

36. Manish Agarwal says:

V useful n full of financial wisdom. Now I am going to study here atleast an hour or so daily for enhancing my financial skills. Hats off to Zerodha for this series.

37. Kundan Kumar says:

Muje pura book padhana h

38. Shubham Rawat says:

Excellent stuff from Zerodha and team specially Karthik Rangappa sir, teaming up with the Learnapp to provide high quality information to their customers and educating them with the basics to investing and that too free of charge.
    Just exceptional
    Kudos to Karthik Rangappa and team.

39. Rashidur Rahaman says:

Good learning.

40. Anand says:

All I want to say- I love you zerodha❀️

41. AC says:

Is there a way we can watch these videos in the Varsity app? It becomes easier to pick it up from where we finished last

42. chris says:

y a pas moyen de traduire les vidéos en Français? One ne comprends pas grands chose

43. Priyanka Akshay Doiphode says:

Simple way I found to learn stock market. Very good communication skills u have. very useful lecture.

44. Sachin shirke says:

Nice explained and very well usefull… ?

45. Dr. Deepa Makhija says:

The video mentions to find the link to the excel sheet for calculations in the description box. But I couldn’t find it. Can anyone please help with that ? Thanks.

46. Shama ara says:

Please send Learning chapter in hindi language

47. Abhishek kumar says:

good sir,
    you share great information in easy understanable language.
    you defeat most of seller in this field.

thank you.

48. Vinodini.h.s says:

Happy Learning . Very well explain and it will be useful for me . Happy Learning 😊😊

49. Arghya Sen says:

Thank you Zerodha for such valuable insights and in depth study materials about various topics on Stock market!!!

50. AMIT says:

KINDLY MAKE THIS VIDEO IN HINDI ALSO TO UNDERTAND MORE

51. Latha Nahar says:

A very smooth and informative session….

Keeping us hooked to the topic and creating curiosity for the next topic….