Module 2   Technical AnalysisChapter 22

The Central Pivot Range

View chapters →

221. Trade from charts

If you are familiar with Zerodha’s trading terminal, Kite, you probably know that you can choose to analyze stock/index charts either on Tradingview or on ChartIQ. These two charting platforms are probably the most powerful charting engines to analyze charts. As a customer of Zerodha, you have access to both these platforms without having to pay for it.

ChartIQ recently had an update, and with this update, there are a bunch of cool indicators and studies that you can use. Let me list a few –

• Candlestick Patterns
  • Stochastic RSI
  • RSI divergence
  • MACD divergence
  • Stochastic divergence
  • Central pivot range (CPR)
  • Trade from chart

I particularly find the candle pattern, CRP, and the trade from chart quite useful, hence this quick supplementary note to bring you up to speed.

Ensure you have opted to look at charts from ChartIQ. You can do this by clicking on the profile section in Kite.

Now, open any chart from your market watch –

On the top right, you can now see a Trade button. Click on the trade button to invoke the quick order window.

This is a floating order window and helps me drag the order window to key price points and fire order from the chart itself. For example, when I look at this chart of Ashok Leyland, I know the stock is moving sideways from the last couple of trading sessions. I may consider a buy position if the stocks break out from the trading range.

From the chart, I know the break out point is around 45 or thereabouts. All I have to do is click, drag the order window, and drop it in a place that I think is relevant on the chart. Once I do, I can place an order to either buy or sell. I can even choose between a delivery/CNC and MIS for intraday.

In the case of Ashok Leyland, I want to be a buyer at around 45.40, a price I think is crucial for momentum to pick up.

As you can see, I’ve dragged the order window up to 45.40, and I can fire an order within the charts without going back to the marketwatch and getting distracted with other quotes. The current market price, i.e. 42.45, is seen with the red background.

So please do make use of this feature, I think this is a great way to isolate yourself from the information clutter and focus purely on the price action.

22.2 – Candlestick Pattern

Candlestick pattern is an interesting addition in the recent update. The candlestick pattern study helps you identify the candlestick formation from the charts. The candlestick pattern identification is a great way to validate the patterns. However, I want you to use this with some caution.

To load a candlestick pattern, select the same from studies –

Once you load from studies, you can see that the system automatically identifies the candlestick patterns.

ChartIQ identifies candlestick patterns on the chart. I’m looking at the EOD chart here, but you can do this on intraday charts as well.

While this is a great way to validate the candlestick pattern, there is one problem with this. The identification process does not consider the ‘prior trend’, rule that is critical to candlestick pattern.

For example, the three engulfing patterns are accurate, but one should not trade based on this, given the fact that the prior trend is missing. However, look at the hanging man pattern; this is one makes sense.

So how should one use this?

Well, I’d suggest you carry out your analysis as usual, and once you are convinced that there is a trading opportunity based on a candlestick pattern, then switch on the candlestick pattern studies and validate the pattern. The pattern you have in mind and the one ChartIQ should match.

For example, here is the chart of DCB Bank. Pay attention to the encircled part here.

There are a couple of things that are happening –

• Stock is in a downtrend
  • P1 formed a long bearish candle
  • P2, after a gap down, forms a spinning top
  • P3, after a gap up, forms a long bullish candle
  • P1, P2, and P3 together appears to be forming a morning start

A trader would probably go long based on the above. However, before placing the order, I’d now want to switch on the candlestick pattern in studies just to validate the pattern –

I do get the confirmation of the pattern; hence I’d be more confident in placing my buy trade here.

22.3 – Central Pivot Range

The Central Pivot Range (CPR) is an indicator to identify key price points to set up trades. CPR is especially useful for intraday trading.

Before you understand the CPR, it is important for you to know the concept of Support and Resistance; I’d suggest you read through this chapter to know what more about Support and Resistance before proceeding further.

The CPR consists of three components –

1. Pivot
  2. Bottom Central Pivot (BC)
  3. Top Central Pivot (TC)

These are derived out of the underlying’s High, Low, and Close calculations –

Pivot = (High + Low + Close)/3

Bottom CPR = (High + Low)/ 2

Top CPR = (Pivot – BC) + Pivot

Spend a minute to understand the formula. These are simple averages and manipulation to the averages. In any technical indicator, the moment you see averages, you need to associate the indicator to the trend in the underlying.

The CPR does just this, i.e. helps the trader identify key price points and the associated trend around these price points.

Today’s CPR values act as the reference for tomorrow’s trading. We will get back to this in a bit.

On Kite search for ‘Pivot’ in studies, and you’ll find the CPR indicator –

I’m looking 15-minute chart of M&M here. Once you load the CPR, the CPR loads as three horizontal lines, as seen below.

One thing that stands out is the varying width of the CPR. I’ve marked three points on the chart to discuss this.

I want you to look at the first arrow starting from left, ignore the CPR but look at the price action itself. Remember this is the 15-minute chart, and it is quite clear that the day started with a small green candle with not much movement through the day. The open and close were close to each other.

Whenever, we have a sideways movement, the next day’s CPR narrow ranged, this is exactly what we observe on the next day. Now the 2nd day itself was trending day. Hence the CPR for 3rd day was a wide-ranged one.

So the point is –

• If today is a narrow range day, tomorrow’s CPR will be a narrow ranged CPR
  • If today is a trending day, tomorrow’s CPR is a wide-ranged one. Higher the trend, wider is the CPR.

Alright, so how do we use the CPR? Well, this is quite straightforward –

Bullish outlook, look for buying opportunities when the current market price is higher than ‘Top central pivot’ or the  (TC).

Let me elaborate. Assume a stock has rallied for a bit. The current market price is higher than the TC, and you are looking for an opportunity to set up a buy trade.

You can now wait till the stock arrests its rally and retraces back to the TC line.

I’ve highlighted a possible opportunity here –

From a price action perspective, when the current market price is higher than the TC, it indicates that the traders are willing to buy even though the average price is higher.  Hence, you should look for buying opportunities. Remember, when CMP is higher than TC, the TC now acts as a support line.

Likewise, when the stock or the index is trading lesser than the “Bottom Central Pivot’ (BC). When the current market price is less than that BC, it implies that there is bearishness in the market, hence look for selling opportunities.

Again, look for a price pull back to the BC line before initiating a fresh short.

You can even trade the stock while it is within the CPR. Trading while the stock price is within the CPR is like a range trade.

You buy when the stock is at BC, with TC as a target and sell (fresh short) when the stock is at the TC with an expectation that the price declines to BC soon.

Of course, I do know many traders who prefer not to trade the range and prefer to trade only the pullbacks. I too would prefer to use CPR only to trade the pullbacks.

Lastly, here is something that you need to be aware of when trading the CPR.

• When you plot the EOD CPR, the previous month’s OHLC is referenced
  • Previous week’s OHLC is a reference when you plot CPR for 30mins and 1-hour candles
  • Previous day’s OHLC is referenced when you plot CPR for 1, 3, 5, 10, and 15 minutes candles

Happy trading.

Key Takeaways from this chapter

• You can trade from the chart by selecting the trade button
  • The trade button is a floating window which you can place anywhere on the chart
  • The candle pattern helps identify the candlestick patterns, use this to reconfirm the pattern
  • CPR helps you identify the S&R pattern
  • It is considered bullish if the current market price is higher than  the TC line
  • It is considered bearish if the current market price below the BC line

232 comments

1. Jayaprasad says:

Good

2. Aditya Patil says:

when is this feature coming to mobile?

3. Matta Janaki Ram Reddy says:

Zerodha is so far excellent with the charts and should provide tools on the charts to draw trend lines and support lines.

4. Alok mishra says:

Ye chapter bhi hindi me uplabdha karaiye

5. Gagan says:

Please check CPR formula listed on page. Bottom CPR formula is incorrect.

6. Pramod says:

A good addition, Thank you

7. Bijendra Das says:

Sir, we need the order window in chart page facility in Kite App

8. Richa says:

Hi How can i add monthly and weekly pivot points in 15 mins chart

9. Shridhar says:

Pivot Boss mentions BC = (High +Low)/ 2. Here it says BC = (High + Close)/2. Please double check.

10. Neeraj says:

Sir mobile pe Kab start hoga cpr s divergation. Co oder bhi start kijiye

11. Kenneth Fernandes says:

Excellent upgrade.

12. Swapan says:

Opening chart is very slow. It takes 15 to 25 second.

13. Kishan says:

Last zerodha team added this and removed within a day. I am using cpr from tradingview. I hope this time it is but free and you don’t revert new updates. Good work guys. 👌

14. Akarsh says:

Hey Karthik,

I wanted to ask you this.. as you explained about the options in the options module. You said that the ATM contracts are the most sensitive to price changes. So my question to you is are ATM contracts best to day trade?

• Karthik Rangappa says:

Yes, they are usually the best bet. However, if there is an excessive movement in the market then OTM options are better, but one wouldn’t know that 🙂

15. Akarsh says:

By day trade I mean intraday trading and scalping. Are ATM contracts best for these type of trading? I know this maybe off topic but there was no other way to reach you.

Thanks!

16. Samaresh Jana says:

Please add the facility of savings multiple chart layout in ChartIQ as it is in TradingView. It is very difficult and time consuming to setup multiple chart layout every day by searching and adding stocks, time frames.
    Also I observed that, Account automatically logged out after some time in Kite Web. This is an additional headache as I have to setup the chart layouts for multiple stocks again at the middle of the session. This is really very very disgusting.

• Karthik Rangappa says:

There is no auto-logout. Have you shared your password with someone? If yes, change your password immediately. For charts, try saving the charts under layouts.

17. Karthik Rangappa says:

Kite charts, please check under studies.

18. Prathibha says:

Where to find Fibonacci ratios level in kite sir?

19. Chirag says:

Given a call or tip on bank nifty

20. Kumar says:

how to save theme in new chart.
    Because Every login need to change background chart into black

21. Kumar says:

how to change default white background into black in new chart.
    Because Every login need to change background chart into black.

22. ajay says:

Sar all chapter in hindi available which date.

23. Senthil says:

Is there any possibility to view public Library Or making our own script using iq view from trading view, I saw many peers using that

24. Anil says:

I see number of people on YouTube opening number of charts with all the drawings everyday and updating. How they are able to do this is not known? TV has facility for 10 views only. Can you guide me please.

• Karthik Rangappa says:

It could be different charting engines. But trust me, its not required. 8 out of 10 times, you just need to concentrate on one or 2 chart to set up trade.

25. Aurobinda Nayak says:

Although these new features are on ChartIQ, is there any possibility to obtain in trading view platform?

26. Tanu says:

Hi, whether price alert facility is available with zerodha. If yes, whether it is free or paid and how to use it.
    Thanks

27. Anand says:

Well explained. Looks like a very good tool for intraday. Hopefully it comes to mobile soon. Btw need to know the factors traders need to be vary of while trading cpr. If you could explain the disadvantages also, it would be wonderful to trade with caution. Thanks.

• Karthik Rangappa says:

Thanks, Anand. CPR will be made available on mobile soon. There are no disadvantages worth mentioning. Like always, your trading should not depend on this one indicator only.

28. Aqdas says:

Hi Karthik,

Is there any module regarding price action trading strategies?

• Karthik Rangappa says:

The entire discussion on candlestick is actually price action. Remember, price action is what manifests into a candle.

29. SHOVA PRASAD says:

hi, when relative strength against nifty indicator will be available in ZERODHA. Like in trading view RS NIFTY.

30. kapil says:

Totally wrong calculation of CPR and Pivot Points. People will trap it trade on those lavels.

31. kapil says:

Sir
    You want me to write down the formula to calculate CPR and Pivot Points ?
    Please check zerodha’s Trading view charts Where pivot point levels are accurate but CPR is not available.
    Kindly correct the CPR and Pivot points indicator in Chart IQ.

32. kapil says:

Sir
    I already know the time frame factor please check with the technical team. Calculations are wrong .

33. Durga Rao says:

I am using zorodha kite mobile app.But there is not showing the CPR indicator any where.plz help me

34. Rajesh says:

Hello, Karthik

I try to trade on intraday but still I’m not able to trade, I have very fearful while trading and cannot take quick decisions. I have face big problem while taking trades based on ema crossover. If their is a buying signal or selling signal I feel very unconfident.

• Karthik Rangappa says:

Then dont force yourself, try a slower approach of swing trading. End of the day, it does not matter how you make money, as long as you make 🙂

35. Surya N. Parija says:

Sir I have completed TA, futures and options theory module. I appreciate your
    hardwork and consistent support to us and an innovative way to teach so that even a layman is also able to understand. Here it was easy to study but today when I started analysing the charts for the very first time I was not able to understand which stock or index should be traded also sir it was very difficult to plot the S&R as in the month of march 2020 almost most of the stocks and index have seen a good downmove due to the corona pandemic. So sir what would be your advice to begginers like me so that I can also atleast start taking positions in the market.

• Karthik Rangappa says:

Surya, I understand. The initial few attempts will be difficult. Look at as many charts as possible with a single point agenda i.e. to spot one pattern. Next, match that pattern with S&R, build on it one by one and I’m sure you will get comfortable with it.

36. Ansh Pratap Singh says:

Hello Mr. Kartik,

I had an issue regarding drawings. I kept drawing trend lines/horizontals/ellipses on charts of a few stocks (about 20 of them) and I expected them to be saved but then when I finished and revisited my first stock, drawings had vanished. Is there a maximum number of drawings or maximum number of stocks that I can have saved. If yes, then how many and how can I increase this maximum number?

37. Ansh Pratap Singh says:

By spotting a patter you mean, first we look if there’s a pattern in the recent 3-4 days, a candlestick pattern that we know of. And then we look if it aligns with a support/resistance respectively. Right?

• Karthik Rangappa says:

Yes, its best of the pattern aligns with the S&R levels. Btw, the pattern you wish to trade on should be as of today.

38. Yerra V S N Sai Sudheer says:

I have learned about CPR recently and after you added this to the TA module, I became confident that this concept is worth it.

1. Sir, is CPR alone reliable? Or should all the other points of the final checklist be intact?

39. Yerra V S N Sai Sudheer says:

Sir,
    2. Is CPR better for a 15min chart than the EOD chart? Or as a rule of thumb “higher the time frame higher is the reliability” works in this case as well?
    3. What is the reason behind trading the pullbacks? Why is it not advisable to trade right after the stock price crosses the Top Central Pivot (TC)?

One more question Sir,
    4. How long have you been trading? When did you change your perspective from short term trading to long term investing (as you have mentioned in an interview)? Do you still trade? HaHa.

2) For intraday, use 1o mins. EOD can be a bit dated in case of CPR
      3) With the pullback, there is a test of support and hopefully buying activity kicks in leading to a bounce in prices
      4) I started roughly in 2004-5. Changed my perspective about 6 years ago.

40. Ansh Pratap Singh says:

Mr. Kartik,

In reference with yesterday’s question

Yes sir, I did save them as LAYOUT —-> SAVE PREFERENCES. Kite still deletes my drawings. I do not understand why is this happening. I have made quite some drawings on some charts and I am sure I made the same drawing on couple of charts at least 2-3 times yesterday. I hope you understand that its quite frustrating this way to have your drawings deleted again and again. Also, not all, just some get deleted. Please suggest what to do?

41. Dhrubajyoti Pal says:

Please make a chapter on Trendline and Chart Pattern. Please.

42. SURYA NARAYANA says:

Sir ZERODHA has revolutionized trading which has benefited retail trader like me.
    Please introduce Composite Indicator (Constance Brown originator) which can be used along with RSI for timing the market.

Also give 25 min and 75 min candle option

43. Raju says:

How can we keep auto select order type as Intraday?
    I am a regular intraday trader. Frankly speaking, I don’t know how to do delivery trading (CNC)
    Whenever we try to order it showing autoselect at CNC type only
    Today Accidentally I placed CNC order
    Kindly reply how to auto select ar MIS order only
    Hoping for reply

• Karthik Rangappa says:

Raju, when you login first time in the day, change it to MIS, it will continue to remain MIS till you logout. Once you logout and login again it will become CNC.

44. Anurag says:

Would really like CPR indicator in Trading view.

45. Kunal says:

Tried looking into the Nifty50 stocks since last 3 days,but was not able to identify any stocks that met the criteria as per the checklist.
    Can you please make a video on the technical analysis module for stock identification to build more confidence for the beginners?

46. SALIL MECHANIC says:

nice to read the contents..varsity is very helpful for learning… I really appreciate it… I like everything but… I mean but it will more beautiful if you facilitate cpr indicator in tradingview chart, so many traders are familiar and comfortable with tradingview, now its the situation is like this we should open the same stock in tradingview website as our strategy is having cpr have a good role….if you add cpr in tradingview why should we pay for tradingview website or find another broker………? hope it will be okay very soon

47. Dhruval Potla says:

hello sir
    is CPR a reliable indicator for short term trade lets say a few months ? if yes how reliable? how to use it in a sideways market? also in your experience is this indicator used more for intraday trading or swing or scalping ? is there any chance CPR can be used for long term trading?

• Karthik Rangappa says:

Personally I dont like to rely upon any indicator. I have more faith in candlesticks, which is a manifestation of price action.

48. Sai Naveen says:

Amazing Explanation Sir.
    Thanks A Lot.

I have a Query.
    Does ChartIQ Provide Multiple Chart Feature?
    If it does, how to enable it?
    Thanks.

49. Raji says:

Hi Karthik, Appreciate the work. Please bring this setup to trading view ASAP.
    1. Also, in trading view while using Heiken Ashi candles, their original website has facility to display actual closing price on the axis instead of HA close. But this is missing in the chart provided in Kite.
    2. Please bring feature to highlight previous day’s high/low (similar to pivots) on current day candles
    3. The “Trade” facility is not letting me trade when I select HA candles..While I understand the price points in HA are not actuals, letting me Trade shouldn’t be an issue. Please look into this limitations immediately.
    4. When can we expect script writing (like pine trader in trading view) to setup derived indicators and patterns?

50. Raji says:

5. Also, every time when I load the chart, trading view not letting me load the default layout (but this is not an issue with ChartIQ). It goes back to some other layout. Every time, I have to click and select my saved layout when toggling between tabs. Please check this issue as well.

51. Rishab says:

Hi Karthik,

Another set of valuable information on varisity, cheers to all your efforts!

I have been through all the chapters in this module and learned a lot. Here are few points which will be great if you will help me out with (Please answer with what is your perspective/decision):
    1) For Intraday, what time frame do you trace through out the trading hours? (If multiple windows, then do specify)
    2) What indicators do you put/prefer when u do intraday?
    3) According to you what is the best time for intraday ? (As most people suggest the price fluctuation is more at the 1st and last 20 mins)
    4) Any particular thing to watch out apart from indicators and charts and news (For intraday)?

P.S: Apologies for long typing. I want to trace how an institute like you gauge the market/stock and take you the call wrt the charts and indicator. Awaiting for your response! ( Please respond in the order i have marked)

Lastly, (A bit off topic): Will Zerodha introduce something like “watch the expert” ? (This is something like, an experience person who does his/her trading and other can mimic it if they want. This is very common in Europe and America.)

• Karthik Rangappa says:

1) I prefer looking at EOD chart even for intraday. However, you can consider 15 mins chart as well
      2) I prefer simple ones like MA, Bollinger Bands, and the ATR
      3) Whenever the opportunity comes by
      4) Nothing that I can point at.

The trick is to keep it really simple plus assess the market from both TA and FA perspective. About the watch the expert bit, I’m not sure 🙂

52. Parul Goyal says:

Thank you very much Zerodha for taking this intiative to increse financial literacy in India.
    I really enjoy studying through varsity. Recently after studying technical analysis and futures thoroughly I did research on two stocks for intraday trading and the other ones for swing trading.
    I studied the market trend of last 20 sessions and did five trades in two weeks on only those two stocks – TCS, bajaj finsev.
    Even after the stocks had crossed their resistanced levels, and the MACD, RSI indicators pointed in the overbought stock direction I intiated a short trade on these stocks.After the day I traded thestock corrected its price and the price went down .Still after too much reflection I cannot understand what went wrog.
    I want to know if there is any book or anything where we get case studies of succesful and unsuccesful trades where there is content on what went right and why it went that way and in what went wrong with unsuccesful trades.

• Karthik Rangappa says:

Parul, at one point, especially after learning the basics, the next set of learnings will have to come from the market. No matter how much you read, nothing beats the experience of real markets. For example, in this case, you need to ask if all the checklist items were followed. If yes, then this is sheer bad luck, else figure out what did you miss out on and if that factor working against you. End of the day, be ready to learn from the market and pay a fee for it. The trick is to ensure the fee is small and the lessons you learn are big.

Good luck!

53. Arun says:

CPR isn’t showing up on multiple charts. Could you please look into it? Also, it would be great to have CPR and volume profile (session volume and also fixed range like in chartiq) to TV as well. Kindly consider this request. Great job otherwise. Thanks.

54. Tanu says:

Hi Karthik,
    I want to select stocks on certain criteria like when any stocks listed only in FNO hits any particular criteria in terms of any technical indicators like moving average/vwap/rsi/…. in any particular time frame, I may get alert. For this I tried Zerodha smallcase screener but didn’t find anything which may fulfill my requirement. Do Zerodha provide any screener like this? If yes, please let me know how to access it and whether it is free or paid.
    Thanks

55. Adarsh says:

Is there CPR in tradingview chart type?

56. Ramchandra says:

Please incorporate CPR in tradingview chart type also.

57. Amir Kumar Sahu says:

Sir,
    If your Pivot Point and Central Pivot Range Calculation is right. Then why your zerodha kite IQ chat and Zerodha trading-view chat is showing different value of Pivot and CPR. According to your calculation your pivot value and CPR value is not match with your indicator value. So please reply which one is right.

58. Manju says:

CPR indicator is not available now? Please let me know how to add to my chart

59. Sangram jenamani says:

Is correct line can be used in mobile app? When searching in fx it’s not found.

60. Mohamed Faisal says:

Sir central pivot still not load chart when will get it

61. Namshad K Muhammed says:

Is cpr available on zerodha tradingview charts?

62. Karan says:

Hi,

Is there any option to see pattern of stock from same industry in same plot.

Thanks
    Karan

63. karan says:

Thanks Karthik, it is helpful

64. Nandakumar says:

it’s good. but Available only in ChartIQ. Bring it to TradingView.

65. Pritesh Vora says:

Hi, Is this available on mobile app?

66. Rajnish Sinha says:

Hey Karthik,

Is it advisable to use CPR in Swing Trade ?

Regards

67. Sandeep says:

Please add much needed CPR indicator to trading view charting platform of kite.

68. Jayakumar Ajk says:

Use ful.
    But I don’t get CPR in iOS. Y!??

69. SANJAY says:

CREATE CPR SCREENER

70. vinay says:

sir,how do we change cpr settings as it is showing only cpr of month’s?

71. sameer kalgutkar says:

Why CPR for current day gets printed candle-wise? Since the data is constant for entire day, It can be printed in advance for the entire day like pivots. It will be a better visualisation.

72. Pavan Kulkarni says:

Hi, Is it possible to add Weekly Pivot in Daily chart ? if yes, would you please show it ?

73. kunal Bajaj says:

cannot Find CPR indicator in kite , please help

74. Umesh says:

Sir Hindi language bhi add Kijiye 🙏🏼

75. Murthy says:

We need CPR in mobile app at the earliest. Please bring as early as possible

76. Vellore RamachandraReddy says:

Sir zerodha CPR levels only TC Pivot Bc pls add R1 R2 R3 &S1 S2 S3 levels and chart background setting option

77. Nayan says:

CPR is for daily… I suggest you to introduce CPR for hourly also. We get about 7 CPRs, in hourly.

78. Iyyappan SA says:

CPR is not yet provided kite. It will be good to understand the stock movement if it is provided please provide as the earliest.

79. Gaurav says:

Can’t Find CPR indicator in Kite. please Help

80. Rafique says:

kartik sir,
    i really thank u for taking me into the depth of stock markets & also educating me to trade. i m not a zerodha client but still i read your varsity. i really appreciate the way u have presented it. sir i would like to know if at all i need any assistance in future will u guide me. can i have your wats app no.

once again thank you very much

• Karthik Rangappa says:

Varsity is for all, does not matter if you are a client of Zerodha or not 🙂
      I’m available on this platform, please do leave your queries and I will respond to your queries.

81. ROCKY says:

Hi, I cannot find it from the indicator list ?? Is it removed from the list?

82. Sameer Kalgutkar says:

1. CPR (and pivots also ) on intraday charts are printed bar by bar whereas the value of pivot is constant for entire day (unless chosen option “continuous”). If printed for entire day at the beginning of the day it will give an better visual feeling.
    2. Option may be provided to print CPR & pivots for last x days only. It will save the chart from cluttering when we take a bigger view of the chart

83. Mohit Jain says:

Sir, as you said that-
    Buy on a bullish day and sell on a bearish day and not to break this rule, my question is-
    1) My target was hit on a bullish and the shares were sold, what do i consider in this situation?
    2) I was trading on a range and there was a small bearish candle at the support level with low volumes, so should i buy it on a bearish day near the support zone, or wait for the next day for a bullish candle?

1) That’s ok. This is a case where you are booking profits
      2) Its best if you can wait for confirmation. However, if the support level has been tested multiple times, then you may want to go ahead and take a punt on it.

84. roopam says:

hello sir
    a few questions and suggestions
    1- what is the difference in sgx nifty and cnx nifty(what is cnx)?
    according to my understanding sgx is ‘Singapore exchange’ in which Indian stocks are traded.
    i- why Indian stocks/derivatives are traded in Singapore?
    ii- why are they traded there for 16 hours a day.
    iii- can’t we use this somehow to drastically gain profits?
    2- i- I know regarding mails as notification for comments in varsity you have said that many times that mail option for the replies would result in a lot of mails. But can’t just notifications for the replies to our comments be turned on via mail or message.
    I often forget where I had posted and comment and then later on I have to go through every article’s comments.
    ii- if possible reorder comments as the latest first so that one doesn’t have to click “View all comments” every time to visit the latest comments.

• Karthik Rangappa says:

1) The index is called just Nifty 50 now, SGX is Nifty 50 listed in Singapore. Not all stocks, just the index
      2) Any index can trade in any exchange as long the local exchange enables it. I suppose many FPIs operate out of SG, so it becomes easy for them to track, trade, and hedge. Number of trading hours is also dependent on the exchange
      3) I completely understand, we are trying to find a fix for this
      4) Noted.

85. Anupam chatterjee says:

Sir, whether cpr pivot point is available in dekstop & if available whether can I use both the strategy Pivot point & Cpr pivot point , plz guide I am new to this market

86. roopam says:

when comparing the charts, it shows the price as percentage.
    please guide is this % plotted

87. Arjun says:

Can we set cpr in mobile kite app

88. J V Nagarajan says:

When cpr will reflect in mobile kite? Under INDICATOR section

89. Mohit Jain says:

Sir, in the above trade my stoploss is at 170, And the price is around the stoploss but i am queit confident that the price will move up within few trading sessions. So, if the price hits my stoploss should i square off my position or wait for the price to move up.

90. Benu Chattaraj says:

When will your kite app be able to display CPR indicator?Sir,Please let us know. we are eagerly waiting for it.Till now I am not able to see it in my kite app. If it already exists, please tell me the way to find it.

91. Lalit kumar says:

Sir, plz include the CPR on kite mobile application. It is very useful tool. Moreover CPR followers have to calculate and draw CPR manually on daily basis, which is somehow time consuming. Also the biggest problem is that we have to remove those manually drawn lines, after day’s session (As can’t keep so many lines mingling with each other). So previous day CPR is not available for reference.

One kind suggestion from me is that –
    CPR for tomorrow should be available just after today’s closing session. So that we can plan the tomorrow’s trade, and can trade the panned strategy. If tomorrow’s CPR is not available today then again I’ve to plot is manually after today’s closing to plan my tomorrow trade, which is again hectic.

Hoping an optimistic response at your end

Regards and thanks,

92. Pavithran says:

I wonder, how you had made all this sir. You don’t even place ads to earn in the site. I kindly want to know, what made you to do this kind of great gesture?

93. Gowtham says:

Why there’s no CPR tool included in Trading view charts in Kite?

94. Ankit says:

Does this CPR works for Monthly time frame as well?

95. Mahesh says:

Dear Rangappa Sir,

We need developed CPR (Next Day) Level today only after completion of todays market session.

Kindly add in the next Updates, so that we can plan & Prepare for tomorrow in a effective way,,

96. Subir Dey says:

The new chart features like “Central Pivot Range”, “Multi timeframe settings”, “CPR -Stochastics”, “RSI Divergence”, “CPR -Stochastics” can not be added from studies. I would kindly request you to check the same and revert back to me. This is of paramount importance to me as I am a beginner in the Stock market and now decided to invest in the Zerodha platform. Before that, I want to check all these indicators for my own understandings. Hope that I hear back from you soon.
    Thanks,
    Subir Dey

97. Mohit Jain says:

Hello sir, is there any trading community groups of zerodha or any other source through which we can join and meet several other traders and learn from them. Or any place you would suggest where i could watch trading setups and strategies of different people.

98. BabuR says:

Sir
    I couldn’t find CPR or unable to locate CPR on Tradingview but just only standard pivot point (which i could do in ChartIQ). And when pivot point is added then it kind of compresses the entire chart view and making it difficult to read the charts.
    Could you please help?
    Thanks

99. BabuR says:

Kindly ignore the above query!!

100. Aditya Singh says:

Hello Kartik,
    Thanks for the course. I have started to take calls. But most of my calls are going wrong. I understand that it is only 2 days ago I completed the course. And I am obviously making a lot of wrong calls. Please suggest me something about how should I go about practicing before entering the market. Thanks a ton in advance.

• Karthik Rangappa says:

Aditya, it takes years of consistent practice to get the orientation right. So you just have to trust the process and continue to do what’s right 🙂

101. Moloy Chakraborty says:

Thank you so much for your Guidance and help .

1. If there is a series of Narrow Range CPR (at least for 2-3 days ) , can we expect a big move in either side ?
    2. Can we initiate Long Strangle/ Straddle in weekly index option? (because the premium will be in lower side ? )
    3. Is there any other Indicator/Price action / Set Up by which one can predict a big move before hand?

Regards.

1) Not really, the narrow range can continue for weeks 🙂
      2) Hard to time since the range can extent for a while
      3) No indicator as such, but CS pattern helps to some extent.

102. Ishwar says:

Hi Sir,

I am using web version of zerodha in chrome browser. I can find candle stick pattern in studies and manage to load it. However it does nothing. I was expecting that by just by hovering mouse it will show pattern as depicted in the pic. but it doesn’t. Am i missing any step?

103. Tilak says:

How soon is it coming? Any tentative dates to expect this?

104. Aswini says:

I am unable to get CPR in my mobile app.. what to do.. how to get it.. please help

105. Amarnath says:

Please make CPR available on Trading View Chart [or pivot points – camarilla (H3, H4, H5…) on ChartIQ].
    PLEASE CONSIDER THIS TO BE AND FUTURE ENHANCEMENT AT THE EARLIEST. Thanks in Advance!

Either one should suffice as of now…as I’d like (in fact, most of the flock that I know) study combining CPR & Camarilla Pivot for intraday day breakouts.

106. Chandra Gangani says:

In my Zerodha Account
    Didn’t see CPR
    Why ?

107. Karan says:

What is the formula to calculate 15 Min CPR Value ?

108. Bharath says:

Hi Karthik,

Greetings. I really like your content and the way you explain it in simpler terms.

I do not find candlestick patterns in studies in kite app. Is it discontinued? Or is it available only in kite web?

109. R Murali Raghavan says:

In calculating the Pivot points, in a day graph, the previous month OHLC is referenced. Is there any specific reason. Further will it be advisable to trade on the basis of the previous month OHLC. Pl clarify

• Karthik Rangappa says:

If you don’t take that way then you wont have a smooth graph and will be highly distorted. Yeah, it is ok to take previous month OHLC.

110. Ankit sharma says:

Okay, Karthik sir, Technical analysis is done though I am not able to make money through this, its fine money-making is secondary but I learnt a lot from your lessons thankyou for all of this. Want some book recommendation from your side. I have been doing this for 3.5 years (i am 24 BCom graduate and
    CA dropout) maybe somewhere I am doing it wrong I mean trendline or reading patterns etc. If possible guide me how should I pursue my passion for the stock market? I have also tried to get a job in a few financial companies but no one is hiring right now. That’s all I wanted to ask sir, reply me sir here or you have my email id too.

• Karthik Rangappa says:

Ankit, if you are serious about a career in finance and something like asset management interest you, then you should look at CFA certification, it is globally recognised and it opens up many avenues for you.

111. Ankit sharma says:

Thanks sir.

112. Samuel says:

Which chart is better for analysis ChartIQ or TradingView?

113. Mandha says:

CPR is not available when i select 2/4 multiple charts. Could you please add to multiple charts aswell.

114. Balachandra says:

Sir when we get CPR indicator in the Kite for mobile users

115. Mandha says:

Thanks Karthik, Please confirm once CPR and pivot points available in multiple charts (2&4).

116. Ankit Sharma says:

Hey karthik sir, sorry for asking this question here but actually a situation of ‘Short Delivery’ arisen.

On 17th I Shorted IIFL stock of 600 qty @ 110 intraday with 17000 amount approx and due to upper circuit i wasn’t able to bought them. Now today i got Zerodha notice that those share were bought @123.95 and ”Total Amount due to us’ – 74364. I want to ask if i dont have that much amount in my zerodha account then what will happen?

117. Ankit sharma says:

I will pay Zerodha, I just have a few doubts like the amount I paid on 17th i.e Rs17000 it becomes nil?

118. Ankit sharma says:

Okay sir just checked my Zerodha Account and they deduct 10000 approx.

119. Bibhudatta Mishra says:

Hello Sir,
    I am new to trading, so please do not mind if my doubt appears to be very dumb.
    First of all, on kite only pivot points is available but no central pivot range.
    Secondly, if I plot pivot points on daily chart, a single pivot line is plotted for whole month. How could this the possible if the price changes daily?
    According to formula, pivot line for Nifty 50 on 19th Nov 2020 should be 12,826.8167, but the pivot line plotted on daily chart is at 11674. However if I change to 5 min chart, the calculated pivot line and plotted pivot line matches.
    Please can you clarify?

• Karthik Rangappa says:

CPR is available on chartIQ, please do check that. Yes, that right, that’s how the CRP and pivot lines are designed. Also, S&R once formed are likely to remain the same for a long time.

120. Rajesh says:

I got a pop-up message on my Zerodha kite about changing margins for intraday from Dec 1, 2020
    Can you say clearly what impact on intraday traders? I didn’t understand it
    Kindly reply to me, sir