Comment on NRI trading on Indian Stock Exchanges

Venu commented on 22 Dec 2015, 12:37 PM

1. Yes, you can transfer shares from your resident demat account to your own non resident trading account, there are no charges if you’re closing your resident account and then initiating transfer.

2. Transaction charges will apply in case you’re transferring to someone else. Charges depends on the DP you have an account with.

3. a) No charges b) Charges depends on the DP where you have your demat account

4. No. You have to close your existing demat and open new demat with residential status = Non resident. Conversion isn’t possible.

5. STCG is 15%, LTCG is exempt for NRI’s. STCG exemption is available if STCG is less than Basic Exemption Limit if residential status is resident. No such benefit for NRI.

6. TDS certificate stating TDS has been deducted and you can refer to DTAA with the respective country

View the full comment thread »