Comment on Taxation Simplified

vengky72 commented on 13 Mar 2013, 07:24 PM

Hi Zerodha,
I have incurred loss of more than Rs.20,000/- in equity trading in which I held all shares for more than 1 year. I am a salaried employee. I have not done any other trading like intraday, short term trading, f&o, etc. I have only done long term equity trading (shares held for more than 1 year).
I am a PSU/Govt. employee. I am in 20% income tax slab.
My doubts are
(1) Since I am a central govt./PSU employee, whether I am eligible to declare myself as trader?
(2) In case, if I declare myself as a trader, whether I can get the benefit of carrying over of losses and whether it can be adjusted in interest income of fixed deposits, long term capital gain of next year, short term capital gain of next year, intraday trading gain of next year, etc. ?
(3) In case, if I delcare myself as Investor, whether I can avail the benefit of carrying over of losses?
Kindly clarify my doubts.

View the full comment thread »